Tuesday, July 21, 2009

lessons learned

So I have never posted much about my health but I am severely anemic. I haven't even seen the low end of normal forever. I hit normal after 3or 4 units of blood or 5 or 6 iv iron treatments but that never lasts. I have a heavy duty iron pill that I am suppose to take .... but I don't. They make me sick to my stomach and they make me hungry all the time. Figure that one out. however since my last Dr visit and the news that I am dropping faster than normal I have started taking the meds as I should and doing the stupid b12 shots each week. So went in yesterday to have levels drawn and the doc is prepping me for my next round of iv therapy. He says that this time we will do iv iron and 4 units of blood. He would set me up me up with a central line so they wouldn't have to stick me all the time. blah blah blah... So I am sure that he must see something that I don't I assume he knows what's going on. I left and went to work to look into the short term disability and what not. I like to have all my ducks in a row so I know what's going on with life. Anyway I get a call this morning from the nurse ......My levels are up in low range of normal. you could have knocked me over with a feather. I am so happy! I guess the meds do work IF you take them like you should. who would have known. OK so lesson learned

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL I feel you on this. I have to take meds for my arthritis and lupus but is hard to tell if they are working and at times want to quit taking them (hate meds). But if the doctor said to take them, there must be a reason. And you found it out yourself and got proof.

Anonymous said...

So glad you got good news! And geezzzz, please take the meds. Maybe there's some combo that you can take that would work better for you. Keep talking to the Dr about it, just take care of yourself..ok.

LilliGirl said...

sometimes the best lessons have to be learned the hard way - congrats!

Anna said...

I'm anemic as well, and every damn supplement I've tried gives me an allergic reaction. Not every day, mind you - just once in a while I'll get this horrible rash all over my body. I found out i was anemic in March - before that I couldn't figure out why I was so tired. I had three units of blood...it was so unpleasant that I've been taking my meds religiously since then. Most of the time, I'm okay - but at certain times of the month I can still get that "drained' feeling.

Real Live Lesbian said...

Good news. I'm totally with you on those nasty iron pills. Good for you for taking them, though.

DawgDyke said...

Meds work! Yeah!